Saturday, January 10, 2009

Go Rent/Buy/Steal This Movie


Why

the

fuck

won't

this

picture

align

right?









I'm not a film critic, I just criticize ones who were crackheads in a past life, so I don't have much to say about this movie other than to urge you to go and see it. If you squint a little, you should be able to see that Andrew Sarris, one of our non-crackhead critics (in fact, one of the best this country's ever had, though these days at the ripe old age of 80 he's taken to giving dap to some pretty bad movies), once said that this was the greatest film of all time. I don't know if I'd go that far, but I can tell you that I've never seen a movie that I could say was clearly better than it, and that a lot of the movies that get talked about as contenders for the top spot, like a Citizen Kane or Godfather, definitely aren't seeing this, not at all. The subject matter is not, I suspect, that alluring to the average rap blog reader, even ones of such sensitive sensibilities as you folks are, but as I'm always insisting about rap, and the same goes for film, it's not what you say, it's how you say it, and this is just a supremely, confoundingly, awesomely well-acted and directed movie, so good that at points I, aghast at what a genius the director must have been, had to rewind several minutes because I'd missed what was said in jaw-dropped stupor at the brilliance of it all. The New Yorker critic said when the movie was rerelased on American screens that the only excuse to miss the showing was death, and that seems about right. (If you insist on knowing what the thing's about, though, it's a costume period romance in 19th century France involving a love triangle between a married couple and a ludicrously good-looking Italian diplomat. No homo.) As an added benefit, if you rent the thing on DVD, you get the pleasure of seeing what an idiot the director of There Will Be Blood, P.T. Anderson, really is, as he "introduces" the film and has nothing to say for fifteen minutes besides speculate on whether the two lovers engaged in some off-camera "naughty business" and talk about what a great grip the director must have had to do such good tracking shots. What did our generation do to deserve such bad movies?

No comments: